Sometimes, I just want a bowl of ice cream. I found myself patrolling the ice cream aisle at the grocery store this weekend, looking at ingredients and nutrition facts… I walked out without buying anything and decided to make my own.
Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 2-4 tablespoons honey (I used 2 tbsp because I’m strongly weaned off of sugar… me 4 months ago would probably use 4 tablespoons)
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk for the creamiest ice cream (you can get away with 1 regular, 1 lite)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- Toppings pictured: cacao nibs and frozen berries
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together yolks and honey
- Whisk in the coconut milk and arrowroot starch
- Transfer to a medium pot and heat (while stirring) until the mixture breaks a boil
- Then transfer back to the large mixing bowl
- Add vanilla extract and cocoa powder and mix well
- Cool the mixture completely in the fridge (it will be a yummy chocolate custard at this stage. I could definitely just eat it at this point)
- Proceed to make ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s instructions
- Add toppings and dig in!
Why, yes, I did take these pictures on the railing of my balcony…and the ice cream could have fallen on my neighbors’ head.